Part I. Vocabulary & structure 25%
Directions: This part is to test your ability to use words and phrase correctly to construct meaningful and grammatically correct sentences. In this part, there are 20 incomplete sentences here. You are required to complete each statement by choosing the appropriate answer from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and D). Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
1.Those who have _________ big contributions to the company should be awarded.
A. afforded B. given C. includedD. made
2. As a parent, you will _________ full responsibility for what you say and do to your kids.
A. commit B. take C. give D. do
3. I believe that I am ________ for the position because of my education background and work experience.
A. qualifiedB. demanded C. appliedD. collected
4. We supply different telephone communication products, some of ________ are particularly useful for small businesses.
A. what B. which C. whomD. these
5. She found it difficult to concentrate while ________ her new novel.
A. write B. wroteC. writingD. written
6. Healthcare is one of the areas _______ the successes of Al have the greatest practical value.
A. from that B. of whom C. by them D. in which
7 Since 1949, our country _________ remarkable progress in reducing poverty.
A. make B. made C. is making D. has made
8. If I _______ his telephone number, I would have turned to him for help.
A. have known B. will know C. had known D. knew
9. A good business plan helps you _________ and grow your business.
A. set B. run C. excise D. relate
10. If you have received several job ________ during your job searching, how do you choose the best one?
A. offers B. regulations C. benefits D. answers
11. Each passenger is _______ to carry one piece of hand luggage.
A. decided B. designed C. allowed D. brought
12. We all believe that the role he has ________ in this project is very important.
A. put B. reached C. offered D. played
13. William is considered as one of the most ________ employees in this company.
A. fluent B. efficient C. convenient D. sufficient
14. The recent earthquake in this area may ______ our company's future business.
A. arrange B. achieve C. affect D. approve
15. As so many people were absent, the meeting had to be ______ until next Monday.
A. put off B. set up C. given away D. taken over
16. The newly-built hotel is ideally placed for easy access _______ major attractions in the city
A. at B. by C. with D. to
17. It has been more than five years _______ they met last time in Wuhan.
A. since B. although C. for D. until
18. Nowadays, it seems that no one can ever avoid _______ the Internet.
A. being used B. to use C. used D. using
19. A recent study shows that a person's living conditions only _______ about 50 percent of his or her happiness.
A. account for B. turn on C. take off D. send out
20.If ________ in a hot place, these flowers will soon begin to die and fall.
A. be put B. to put C. put D. putting
21. The time I spent _______ with the team has enabled me to learn more about business management.
A. work B. working C. to work D. worked
22. The sports meeting had hardly begun ________ heavy rain poured down.
A. as B. than C. while D. when
23. He expressed the hope _______ they could start a business relationship with us.
A. that B. whether C. what D. which
24. By the time you get this letter, we ______ the project.
A. were completing B. will have completed
C. had completed D. are completing
25. The small village where we spent our holiday lies _______ the hillside
A. for B. in C. on D. with
Part II Reading Comprehension 50%
Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. There are two sections in it.
Directions: There are 4 passages In this section. After each passage there are 5 questions. Each question is followed by four choices A). B). C). and D). You should choose the best answers to the questions and mark the corresponding letters on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Most Americans switch careers at least three times throughout their lives. Gone are the days when people retired from the company where they first worked. The progressive mentality (心态) regarding business and technology often ensures that people move from position to position as they try to find the right career for them.
Recent college graduates ask "what career is right for me?" many times in the months before and after graduation Now more than ever, people are also asking “what career is right for me?" into their thirties, forties and fifties. Even baby boomers (生育高峰期出生的人)are asking “what job is right for me?" as they retire and reenter the workforce in their sixties and seventies. It seems that every employee in America is wondering which career path fits him or her best.
When you find yourself asking "what career is best for me?", follow some of these simple tips to set yourself straight on the best path for you.
1. Consult a website and take its test to see which career path might be right for you.
2. Think about whether you are happy with your current job.
3. Emphasize your skills in your resume.
4. Do more research about the new career.
26. According to the first paragraph, most Americans now ______.